Thursday, January 08, 2009

Travelling

Is it bad that the only part of leaving tomorrow that I am excited about is that I get to people watch on the plane and in the airport?

It's impossible to put words around the feeling of leaving home for a long period of time - Thanksgiving was easy, I knew I was coming right back but now with spring and summer up in the air and the possibility of my family moving, there is an unknown distance between now and when I next am home - or at least with my family. It is a strange tearing feeling, a suddenly very alone and very forced to rely on my own independence, surrounded by people who may think they understand who I am but can never truly know me in the way my immediate family does - who else saw me lose all my teeth, have chicken pox, get on the bus the first time, cry when my cat ran away, carry kittens around like dolls, take forever to ride a two-wheeler, wear braces (yes even head gear), have to get picked up from sleepovers in the middle of the night....the list goes on but these are the things that shape me and if one doesn't see where I've been, how can they see who I am? I love who I am when I'm home and it's hard to let go in the same way anywhere else. But here goes - yet another semester away and just a little further in the painful process of 'cutting the cord.' Ouch. It kind of sucks.

Thus - I can just look forward to people watching in the airport.

No comments: