Saturday, January 10, 2009

01/08/08

Airport again! Waiting for Connecticut flights I always look for people I know – some sense of pride that we are all going to the same small state and the likelihood of seeing someone familiar is pretty decent. Business people, students, and young professionals – sitting & waiting for a flight that’s delayed 30 minutes. Funny we all sort of treat delays differently. I saw it as the opportunity to buy a decongestant in hopes of not being in pain and as time to get food rather than fill myself on biscoff cookies and peanuts. Others are complaining and the rest just sitting – looking somewhat irritated. This airport is not nearly as exciting as JFK, smaller with only 2 terminals and in a strange location – the Ohio and Kentucky line. People are not in a rush but leisurely strolling with bags and jackets, standing around, on the phone, and eating food. We’re south – sort of – so I got Chick-Filet, a favorite of mine. There’s snow outside, have to admit it dampened my confidence upon landing but I was more concerned with my ears and the fact that I thought my eardrum might explode on the plane.
Sat next to a young guy from the Bay Area who is a ‘photographer’ and filmmaker and editor – headed to a secluded cabin in Toronto to edit a film. He photographs bikers and he still uses 35mm film! Nice guy, made me realize how easy it is to engage in conversation with perfect strangers when there is only a small seat between you and a 3 ½ hour flight ahead.
….

Well interrupted from writing and from my trip back – maintenance issues on our plane made us all get off and walk several gates to wait to board a new one. Yikes. Increasingly aware that traveling takes us all out of our comfort zone, I sit with my fiddle, my backpack, my knitting (YES! Knitting!) and now my laptop. Most people are watching the news – official announcements of the vote count for Obama (didn’t realize that was still a question) among arguments from Palin that she tried to get out of the Couric interview and suggestions from Marvel that Obama star in a Spider Man comic book. Everyone is on a phone or looking tired, suddenly the airport is quiet and closed – in the short period of time it took for us to get on and off a plane all the stores and restaurants shut down. Strangers engage in conversation and people take advantage of the ability to stand or walk. Not sure how I would have felt about flying on that plane even if they had fixed the flap stuck up…a new one is better (I suppose) but the hour and 29 minute flight seems too long when all I want is to be done with airports, boarding zones and popping ears.


.....

No comments: