Friday, January 02, 2009

Cereal Girl

Feeling like I need to write but not really positive I have something worth writing about so I'm going to try something new again...

I used a website for educators who want to write with their classes: www.writingfix.com and then used the random personal list generator to get me going

And chose: "List all the BREAKFAST CEREALS you remember eating in your lifetime. Choose several from your completed list and write a piece about HOW BREAKFAST CEREALS CAN DETERMINE THE TYPE OF PERSON YOU BECOME."

- Honeycomb @ Gaga's house
- Kix
- Trix (getting a box for Easter)
- Lucky Charms in a minibox while camping
- Hating Frosted Miniwheats because they get soggy
- hating raisin bran unless sugar and raisins are added after the fact
- hating 'bunny food' (kashi) until recently
- Sugar Smacks - not called that anymore
- Corn pops
- Grits (mm)
- Cream of Wheat - haven't had it in awhile
- Captain Crunch - makes my mouth feel weird
- Fruit Loops - turn the milk brown
- Rice Krispies - mm but better in bar form
Cheerios - remember when the multigrain and frosted kind came out? Honey nut is still my favorite
- Chex - yum! Corn are my favorite
- Krispix - like Chex only better shapes
- Special K - meh it's weird and it sometimes gets stuck on your tongue and hurts.

How breakfast cereals determine the type of person you become?
That's a stretch but I do think eating breakfast in general can affect the type of person you are, not that you are stuck a certain way if you never ate breakfast but that by starting your day with breakfast you may behave in a particular manner or be a different person than when you don't. I think taking time to start your day - even if for 10 minutes to sit and eat, think, gather your wits before trudging through the day, you have a more balanced and organized mental start. You've had time to think through what will be going on and what needs to happen, and you've given your body a chance to wake up its systems and get going. Aside from the scientific research surrounding breakfast, I think the time it takes to pour a bowl of cereal says something about caring about starting off with the right mindset, body care, and tempo. The type of cereal is a different story - I love to snack on Lucky Charms in the afternoon - meaning? I probably am a 7 year old at heart. I sometimes crave Cheerios when I'm sick or late at night - meaning? I was probably fed them as a baby and given them after being sick to my stomach, like everyone else. I love the noise rice krispies make - meaning? If food sounds good it tastes better. I hate eating sugar cereal for breakfast - I'm always hungry too soon and it feels weird in my mouth - meaning? I grew up. I love transferring in the Atlanta airport because I can get grits for breakfast - meaning? I should live in the South. Ok maybe not so much but this is where I think we can't say anything about breakfast cereal and its correlation to personality, I think just whether you eat breakfast or not. I suppose the difference between granola bars and cereal or eggs and cereal might say more about the type of person - or at least how they operate on a schedule and use their time than whether they pour Corn Pops or Captain Krunch Oops All Berries in their bowls.

What was for breakfast this morning? An EggMcMuffin - proving I am in fact an American who falls for the Golden Arches everytime and that getting up and going out early with mom is made even better by a cup of Peets coffee and a paper wrapped sandwich : ).

No comments: