Monday, December 06, 2010

Independent Math

Today I modeled making 8 with 5 of one color cube and 3 of another - using the words 8 is 3 more than 5....showed them 6, and 7 as well - we compared them. Great Math talk happening!
Then I "set them free" to do their first ever Math Work independently - gave explicit instructions about what it sounded like, looked like, and how to show me they are done - solving the numerous "I'm done Miss Stowe" comments with a simple silent model - which they found hilarious....I walked to the mailboxes, then walked to the library where I chose a book and sat down. They told me exactly what to do...they didn't follow through perfectly but they tried!
It was refreshing to see a little more independence : ).
Also introduced the color behavior chart today - out of necessity because Bobby was out of control. Interesting response - it might work, but it might lose its severity if I am not careful. I want "Move your Color" to be a crushing consequence so that it doesn't happen often. There wasn't that sense of urgency today I will retalk it out tomorrow!
Also did 3 rotations of bookshop groups today and the center changes were fairly smooth....I need to print pictures and redo my task board so kids can just move.
All in All - not bad for a Monday!

No comments: