Wednesday, August 05, 2009

lock box on the door

There's a lock box on my grandparent's front porch. It holds the key to their home ... to my 2nd home ... to the heart of our family. This home is all I know - all my mom knows, all my uncle knows.

I walked out as they walked in - tried to smile and appear unstartled by their intrusion.
Should I let go and spill it?
Do they have any idea what it feels like to suddenly see them gaping at every nook and cranny in the house, analyzing the costs and benefits?
Oh you should know:
the stairs creak there's no way around it
the sun shines in the room at the top of the stairs and wakes you up early.
the birds love the feeder by the kitchen and when it's empty they climb on the screen.
the backyard fills with bees in the summer - I remember being stung there
there used to be a hammock between the two trees out back
the round garden used to be a pool - swam there night and day, sometimes washed my hair and when I was little I skinny dipped.
The tree to the right by the road is great for climbing
the guest house smells like pool chemicals and bird seed, I love it.
the basketball hoop is old but it is special
the front yard is the perfect size for massive family wiffle ball games
the front room is a great place to nap
the fireplace is the coziest place in the house
the recliner is essential to the memories here
family pictures work best on the back stair
you'll need a swing out front, they're taking that one with them
the attic is scary
the basement door has an old lock but it makes a great noise and those stairs creak too
keep the spare key on the front porch
the pantry is a great place to hide
always hang christmas ornaments from the beam
the weeping cherry out front is special - don't cut it down
the gravel on the driveway lets you know that someone is home
flash the front lights when someone leaves - it lets them know you love them and miss them already

they won't know...they can't know - this isn't their home, it's Gaga&Papa's.
I'm not ready for change.

No comments: