Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Through My Lens

So I was attempting to go to sleep early tonight and instead find myself musing...

a few sporadic thoughts I'll eventually pull together:

We talked about what art is in my social studies methods class today - that's a broad concept with no real definitions - but I was thinking about it quietly and just realizing how often art reflects the way we respond to what we see, feel, or think and we respond in a way that helps us come to terms, understand, appreciate, or enjoy. Ok so let's map out the idea there - bear with me for a second.

God creates nature --> God creates man --> Man sees nature and other people and feels certain ways or feels the need to express emotion through creation --> man creates something out of what he sees, thinks, and feels

....and it cycles back to God. cool - simple - basic - but cool.

As for me? I realized that when I'm looking at something through my camera lens, I am capturing something that caught my eye, usually some part of creation or maybe a person, that caused me to stop and appreciate it whether for it's weirdness, beauty, unique design, or the like. My lens is like a small window to who I am, if you go through the pictures I take when I'm just enjoying photography as art, it would say a lot about me as a person and beyond that, how I internalize and express my place in God's creation. My camera is not only my art medium but a form of praise. whoa now that's cool.

No comments: