Wednesday, January 19, 2011

what is school?

Snow day yesteday
delay today
more snow coming tomorrow... ugh

kids forgot how to come in today. and I was missing 8. It was kinda perfect but it's hard to do new things with half the class missing!

T wrote his name unprompted with no assistance! Also completed addition - INDEPENDENTLY. wow.
Princess friend cried off and on ALL morning.

Did an exercise in equality and fairness after we read a story about Martin Luther King Jr. Today. I told the kids that only my friends who wear pink can have recess. So 4 kids got to have recess - at first - kids got  upset and it was perfect to get them to talk about how they felt. They were having a hard time picturing not being able to eat at certain restaurants or drink out of water fountains...I think it helped. I will do something similar tomorrow and use stickers. It's a deep concept for them but it's important when we are teaching our code of character - respect and unity tie perfectly into fairness and equality and rights.

Sania told me today she was going to be a nurse and I told her she had to take care of me when I get sick. She said ok :).

Then during math we solved an addition problem together and she said - without raising her hand "Miss Stowe you are the best!" Muhiba added " Yeah she is." It was cute - unasked for and made me grin. I responded " You're pretty great too."

Did I mention I love them?

No comments: