Saturday, August 07, 2010

those questions everyone asks

So I fly out tonight to start my job on Monday and every time I see someone who knows me or my family, I get these questions...

1. when do you start: Monday
2. Why so early: It's a Tier 3 Turnaround School with a Brand new faculty - lots to change before school starts
3. When do the kids start: September 1
4. What grade: Kindergarten
5. How cute! : yes I am excited.
6. How old: mostly 4 years old New haven is the least strict district about the cut off age.
7. Are you ready? : Well I think so ... but I have some shopping to do.
8. How Many? : Probably 25 or so
9. Full day or half day? : Full - extended day - school day is about and 1.5 hours longer than a normal school.
10. What does turn around mean?: It means they were failing, they fired their faculty and only hired back 4 teacher - the rest of us are new hires and are all in agreement about what good urban ed looks like.
11. Are you so excited? : Yes but I have also been having nightmares every night about the first day of school.
12. Where are you living? : About 5 mins from my school in an apartment I haven't seen yet - I move in on Friday.

I LOVE to talk about my job ... but those are the top 12 questions : ).

Also - Sunday I will pick up a play kitchen for my classroom and Tuesday some potato heads and a dollhouse - very exciting!

No comments: