Wednesday, July 16, 2008

the fiddle?

So I play the fiddle now...yeah I'm spontaneous. I came home and was hooked - and have been - on celtic and bluegrass with a strong fiddles - specifically reels. I almost immediately found a band out here - Culann's Hounds and found someone on Craig's List offering lessons. After emailing that guy I called a music store and asked for a recommendation and they gave me a phone number to call - turned out to be the same guy. And he's the fiddler for Culann's Hounds (saw them perform at a local bar two weeks ago and they were GREAT! Check them out on itunes or on www.sfhounds.com).

So I pick up a brand new instrument - having only dabbled with the flute and played piano (for 8-10 years). Haven't read music or played at least since early high school. I became determined to play and play well before I left and practice like crazy. The result? Now on my 5th lesson I can sight read a piece and play it - and yeah it squeaks but it's getting there and since an average student doesn't pick up a fiddle for at least 2 months (practices music, rhythm, and plucking) I'm doing pretty great. And know what else? I LOVE it, I love the way it feels to play, I love having something to work on, something I want to get better at, something that is a challenge and has a definite goal (to play celtic and bluegrass!). It's frustrating to start from scratch at something and it's a feeling I haven't had to experience in awhile and I think it's really healthy.

Have a sport you always wanted to try and didn't? Or a guitar laying around that you never learned to play? Maybe a trumpet? Try it - it's worth it and it's definitely not too late :).

Now about a teacher when I get back to school...haven't found one yet but I'm determined so I will keep trying. And my roommates better invest in ear plugs.

Oh and the accusation that fiddles sound like cats? Apparently not far fetched as the strings used to be made from cat intestines - ew - but ok.

1 comment:

lovenewportri said...

YAY for fiddle!!!
I think it's an awesome instrument and I give you MAJOR kudos for picking it up! yeah, i may actually be starting to play my clarinet again... i miss it terribly. I'm sure you could find a teacher back up at school, I bet there's someone out there!
As for music, I haven't really told anyone yet, but I have joined the Marching Band for my last semester as a band manager.... so GO UCMB and GOOO HUSKIES!!!

I love being a band geek! see you in a month!!!